11.04.2008

On The Eve of Awakening

We stand today in the midst of the most paramount place in history ever experienced by any being in this lifetime. Besides the birth, death, and resurrection of Christ, I cannot think of a more profound moment in time. I cast my vote with pride this morning, with my head held high, and my heart full of joy.

As I sit here with tears streaming down my eyes, I had no idea that I would be moved this much. I had no idea that I would think about my ancestors who were made slaves, and never even dreamed of this moment. I had no idea that I would think about Dr. King and his movement that marched for this moment. I had no idea that I would think about Malcolm X and the way he fought for this moment. I had no idea that I would think about freedom riders all over the nation that died for this moment. I had no idea that I would think about my children, who may not fully understand, but will live based upon this moment. I had no idea that I would think about my grandmother who had possibly lost hope in the realization of this moment, but who is still alive to be a part of this moment.

I am humbled. I am broken. But not broken in the traditional sense of the word. I am broken of the pessimistic views that I, and so many of us have lived by. I am broken of the feeling that the 'black man' has been, and will always be held down on the basis of his color. I am broken of the negativity that has flowed from my lips in recent months that said 'They'll never let him have it'. I am broken of the acute sense of fear that has clouded my joy, and caused me to discount the magnificence of this moment.

I am not naive, however. I realize that he may not win. I realize that there may be mass disappointment on tomorrow, and in the days ahead. I realize that although we've given a stand-up effort, and though we've prayed earth shattering prayers, God is in control, and His word is law. And sometimes His word doesn't fit our time table. And I am also cognizant of the fact that we have never been closer to anything even remotely resembling the profound truth of this situation.

But Dr. King said "I have been to the mountaintop", and folks, this is a mountaintop experience. This is an out-of-body sensation. This is the dawn of a new day. This is the eve of awakening...

And no matter what happens tomorrow, we stood tall. No matter what happens, we brought the fiyah! No matter what happens, we have seen the future. We have seen the possiblilities. It is not a cliche anymore for us to tell our kids that they can be President of the United States of America. That they can do ANYTHING they want to do. They can see the reality of their wildest dreams.

I am HUMBLED, and AWARE, and ALIVE and AWAKENED!!

I am an American Woman with skin of color, with roots that tie to Africa, and I just cast my vote for an AMERICAN MAN with skin of color, with roots that tie to Africa, that I believe in, for PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, which contraty to popular belief, HAS ROOTS THAT TIE TO AFRICA!!!!

MAY GOD BLESS OBAMA, KEEP HIM SAFE THIS DAY, AND ALL OTHERS. THANK YOU FOR ALLOWING US THE REALIZATION OF A DREAM, LORD, AND STRENGTHEN US TO UNDERSTAND IT, AND HANDLE IT ACCORDINGLY. AMEN.

LIVE IN THIS MOMENT BLACK PEOPLE, YOU DESERVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: