11.05.2008

The Dawn of Awakening

If you're like me, you have been up all night. I'll never forget the moment it became clear to me that our history is forever changed. I awoke to my phone ringing around 11:00 p.m., and answered it only to hear a voice screaming, "GET UP, IT'S OVER!! 297!! WAKE UP DAMMIT!!"

I couln't believe it. Apparently the electoral vote number shot from 220 to 297 in the blink of an eye. I was stunned. I was overwhelmed. I was overjoyed. My eyes were seeing it, but my brain couldn't process it. We had just elected Barack Hussein Obama as President of the United States.

I woke my children up. I called my grandmother. I called my parents. I talked to the man I love. Everyone was up in arms. All of my phones were ringing incessantly. Shouts of praise resonanted throughout the country. Prayers of thanks rose throughout the nation. It is indeed a marvelous day.

Now let's switch gears slightly. People, once this day is over, the work begins. Once this day is over, the truth overflows. Once this day is over, the negativity will reign 100-fold. Once this day is over, the seeds of doubt will be thrown on the earth. Once this day is over...

Standing for Obama does not mean that we will always agree with him. Standing for Obama does not mean that he owes us anything. Standing for Obama does not mean we should expect anything more than anyone else.

Standing for Obama means standing for CHANGE. And to effect change, you have to ruffle some feathers. To effect change you have to make the tough decisions. To effect change, you have to piss off the masses. Please take a note from the way President Obama ran his campaign. He did not make all of the popular choices. He did not succumb to the pressures around him. He did not conform to popular beliefs. He will run the White House in the same fashion. And we will have to stand for him no matter what.

Please Negroes, don't start with the '40 acres and a mule'. Please Negroes, don't start with the 'paint the White House black'. Please Negroes, don't start with the inter-office and inter-relational beefs. Please Negroes, don't start being cocky and ignorant. But as a fellow blogger stated, work on your individual self. Work on becoming a better you, so that President Obama can be proud. Work on ways that YOU can effect change in your surroundings. If all of us make that effort, then the President's job will be that much easier.

So bask in the glory of this moment. Shout to the mountain tops and sing to the hills. Teach your children the true meaning of this victory. Take today and enjoy it, you deserve it. But tomorrow...

PUT YOUR COMBAT BOOTS ON AND GET READY TO FIGHT!!!!!!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I totally forgot about the "paint the White House Black" comments of old. WE NEED TO PRAY FOR A NOT-SO HORRIBLE FUTURE

Kofi Bofah said...

Obama will be held accountable, just like any President. Still, he was the best man for the job.

You, and your readers might enjoy this post:

My Chicago Election Day Diary